When you buy a new car with keyless entry and starting, the excitement is all about the keyless system that changes its name according to the make. But few know what to do when the chiave keyless has the battery scarica. Open the car and drive away with a keyless key that doesn't work it is not complicated and today we explain to you what to do.
Updated December 28, 2022: new content that is more current and useful for readers
KEYLESS KEY WITH FLAT BATTERY: THERE IS THE EMERGENCY KEY
Most systems Keyless Go o keyless entry they all provide a radio frequency remote control without mechanical key. Or so one believes when looking at the remote control used to open the doors and start the engine. Let's debunk a first myth by reassuring those who would like to buy a car with a keyless system but stopped at the fear of staying out due to a flat remote control battery. Each manufacturer provides one emergency procedure to open the car with a keyless key with low battery or not working. It would be inconceivable otherwise, provided that the malfunction is not caused by damage to the keyless key, for example by falling into water. So let's see what to do to restart with a keyless key with low battery.
KEYLESS KEY WITH FLAT BATTERY: WHAT TO DO
The simplest procedure for unlock the car with a keyless key with low battery it's about the cars they have the lock on the door of the driver. You've probably seen that lock hundreds of times, but only now that the keyless key's battery has run down will you be able to understand what it's really for. Opening the car manual would be impossible if it is stored in the trunk and you don't have the possibility to retrieve the spare key or a spare battery. In these cases, know that an emergency mechanical key is always hidden inside the remote control, recognizable by a different color from the shell of the remote control. We see how to proceed:
– if the remote control has a button other than those for unlocking the car, as in most cases, press it and try to remove the mechanical key (image below);
– insert the key in the lock on the door and open the car;
- it will be enough to start again simply bring the keyless key close to the button even with flat battery for starting or in the glove box in front of the gearbox.
KEYLESS KEY WITH FLAT BATTERY AND HIDDEN LOCK
When keyless key has a flat battery but it is not on the car door lockpanic ensues. Don't worry, to start again with the keyless key that doesn't work, the procedure is very similar to the previous point. You just have to discover the lock which most of the time is simply hidden near the handle. Let's see how to do it.
– almost always next to the handle on the driver's side door there is a plug which can be removed using the emergency key removed from the remote control and holding the handle up. After that it's just a matter of turning the key one way or the other to open the door (image above);
– a little more difficult is to open the car when the lock is recessed, as is the specific case of many Jaguars. If the lock is hidden by the handle, just lift the handle gently, just enough to be able to insert the emergency mechanical key underneath and access the passenger compartment.
In both cases restart with the keyless battery flat always requires the same procedure: position the key in a precise point so that the car recognizes the key even if the battery is flat.
KEYLESS KEY WITH FLAT BATTERY: THE “TRICK” TO OPEN THE CAR
What to do if the keyless key has a flat battery but there is no lock or emergency key mechanics in the remote control? It's a question that might surprise Tesla customers, for example. In these cases the manufacturer has certainly foreseen an exact point where to approach the keyless key to open the doors even if the battery is flat. For the Tesla Model S, for example, it is the passenger side windshield wiper area. But it is also true that the Tesla can be opened and started using the smartphone app provided there is network coverage. Our advice is not to wait for the Keyless key battery to run out. Better inform yourself in advance by reading the car manual to travel more serene and know what to do to restart in an emergency.